11.15.2006

Victory Soup

For a few days last week, in a food poisoning haze, I spent much of my time walking dizzily back and forth between the bathroom and my bed.

After I stabilized and remounted the reading/taxi/smile horses, I found myself ready to eat a delicious soup, the invention of a good friend of mine here, Adolf. He and my roommate Joseph and I enjoyed a nice meal together this past weekend. The soup represents a dramatic moral victory for me: food without poisoning.

Victory Soup

Serves 3 Dudes

Chop up 1/4 kilo (each) of:

Okra (Bamieh)
Potato (Botatis)
Freshly-Shelled Peas (Fasoulia)
Carrot (Gazaht)

Boil lightly in enough water to cover it up for 30-40 minutes until it all seems tender. Don't worry about the broth, it will be thin, no problem. The key, though: a few dashes of cumin, pepper and salt to taste with a very Egyptian squirt of lemon.

Complement Victory Soup with kofta/tomato/onion/tahini sandwiches in pita-type bread.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm not sure if it's a discrepancy with "egyptian" arabic but okra is actually called bamieh. kusa is zucchini.

shrf said...

The last line of this recipe should be:

10 minutes Guitar solo. May substitute 80's metal air guitar solo if no musician of requisite skill can be found

tony said...

Thanks for what looks like a scrumptious soup recipe!

I hope post-food poisoning life is treating you well. I'll write you something more substantial once I get over my own end-of-semester crunch.

Jesse said...

Thanks, Haya for the note. Its not Kusa, but Bamieh.